9 January 1916
Can Edward Xuereb
2, Pjazza s-Salvatur, Għasri GSR 1011
Telephone/Fax: 2156 0137
Mass Schedule (click here)
Ghasri, the smallest village of Gozo, is possible an Arab’s name and it means simple Ghasri’s district.
Ghasri, reached by forking right on the Rabat–Gharb road just after the aqueduct, is dominated by a lighthouse on Gurdan hill. Gurdan lighthouse, rising 180 metres above sea level, was inaugurated in 1853. Its beam can be seen up to 50 kilometres away. There are some marvellous views from its upper terrace. From the village square, a road leads to Wied il-Ghasri. On the way, there are a number of typical farmhouses, as well as an old chapel dedicated to the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The village church, designed by a local priest, Dun Guzepp Diacono, was build early in the twentieth century. Its foundation stone was laid on 6 September 1903 and it was dedicated to the Corpus Christi on 9 January 1916 to Christ the Saviour. The parish church was established by Bishop Giovanni Marija Camilleri on 16 December 1921.