11 November 1906
Fr. Gorg Attard - Guardian
Fr. Egidju Mizzi
Fr. Joseph Xerri
Pjazza San Franġisk
Weekdays: 7.00am, 7.30am, 6.00pm (winter), 7.00pm (summer)
Saturday: 7.00am, 7.30am, 6.00pm (winter), 7.00pm (summer)
Sunday: 6.30am, 7.30am, 8.30am, 9.30am
The Friars are available for confessions, councelling, preaching and studies. The friary is rich of old and important paintings sought by many univerity students to endivour their studies
Internal and external: The Immaculate Conception 8th December, 40 hours of Adoration with procession 3rd/4th Sunday of September. Internal only St. Anthony of Padova 13th June, The Stigmata, 17th September, St. Joseph of Copertino 18th September, St Francis of Assisi 4th October.
Cosecration of the Church 11th November 1906
Fr. Jacob de Leo Provincial Minister of the Sicilian Province established in 1492 the Friary at the outskirts of Rabat, the capital city of Gozo.
1492: the friars were entrusted with the Chapel of St. Mark “in contrada San Giacomo”, Rabat, by the bishop of Malta Mgr. Paolo de la Cavaleria. A cemetry of noble people existed in front of the same chapel and a cross made of stone marked the boundry of the said cemetry. The friars dwelt in some big caves that existed along the falls of the compound. In 1535 the titular of the chapel was changed to that of St. Francis.
Throughout the five hundred years people from all walks of life sought the services of the friars. A wooden statue of St. Isidore exist in the church since 1680. In 1698 a wooden statue of Mary Immaculate was used in the procession. In 1663 a Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary was founded in the church to help the organisation of the feast of Mary Immaculate. The Conraternity still exists today.
The friars are sought for their renowned life and service. They are sought for preaching from various parishes. Several friars taught seminarians and at the Faculty of theology at the University of Malta. Several others gave solid contribution in the government of the Province